Go Back   Indiana Truck Scene Forum > Street Trucks > Build Threads

Build Threads Post up progress of your build

Old 10-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Red91
Full Access Members

Default My wife calls her princess....

Well the title kind of says it all. I bought the truck a little over 2.5 yrs ago. She was Stone Stock but super clean and straight especially for a true WI Truck.

Yes that is all GM sheetmetal. I got it with a 2" thick stack of reciepts and various pieces of documentation and I recieved a memo pad that documented every dime the previous owner put into it INCLUDING GAS!!! He is a regular at all the local shows with a small collection of Trans Am's and this was his daily baby. After rocking it stock for awhile I started to get the itch and started collecting parts for a 4/6. Well this summer I put some new 225/70s up front and 255/60s out back.

It took me way longer than it should have but I wanted to do it un assisted.
While I did the front I also did all the standard wearables, Ball joints Tie Rod ends, sleeves, and sway bar end links. I found out the hard way that I have 1.25" brake rotors as well. It could have been easily avoided if I did a little more research but lesson learned. So after I bought the right spindles I put it all back together.

Only one problem...

Enter 454!!!!

After that I flipped her around

The leaf spring bolts were frozen solid in the bushing sleeves. With a little coaxing and some heavy equipment the rear leafs came on out.

I obviously had to do new bushings so a little propane, swazall and ball joint press later.

So I shot the springs with a little satin black krylon

They turned out pretty good. Actually had a tire guy ask me if they were new. So I pulled out a little backwoods engineering and got the new bushings in

After a little assembly some more black Krylon and one "sick" day at work

Like I said it took me way too long, but I could only work on it 2-4 hours at a time. That and I have a dd so it didn't hurt me to have it down for the summer. Either way I learned a few things 1. You can never research enough something will always bite you the first time around. 2. I loath press in ball joints 3. I am never doing spring bushings AGAIN! Either way after all the work, money, and time the first time I drove it made it all worth it!

Well after that I got the rear wheels swapped over too the 454s, then 2 weeks before her first show I got an exhaust leak.... Soooo I said screw it and ordered....

and threw in a new y-pipe. But to add insult to injury the y-pipe didn't seat well so I have a little "Pop" leak when I get into the throttle. Either way I took the hit in stride and showed her anyways. This was my first show as an entrant.
I have absolutely gotten hooked on showing it since I just wish it wasn't so late in the year! I am now "stuck" I feel like I have writers block I can't seem to plan my next move. Suggestions?... Lol

My Facebook
Red91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Devs93
Full Access Members

94+ mirrors and updated lights truck is looking good
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...B-Build-Thread
FB
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001465284578
Negative Altitudes Draggin That Shit Since 2006
Devs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
dagen_1
Full Access Members

Originally Posted by Devs93 View Post
95+ (94 is still dumbo mirrors)

i REALLY LIKE this truck! great job!

DeWayne
'89 Cheyenne
'94 Silverado Z71
My Facebook
My Build Thread
dagen_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
dagen_1
Full Access Members

an inexpensive upgrade i would look into is the jeep XJ steering shaft and 95-98 wiper arms. the wiper arms are straighter and have a heavier duty spring. they also have the hook-style end connector instead of the pin-type.

DeWayne
'89 Cheyenne
'94 Silverado Z71
My Facebook
My Build Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Devs93
Full Access Members

I do to even the old style grille
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...B-Build-Thread
FB
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001465284578
Negative Altitudes Draggin That Shit Since 2006
Devs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Red91
Full Access Members

Yea I couldn't/can't pick between the 94+ or the 454 mirrors. I am really hesitant on lights because I don't know if I want to go smoked, blacked out, or clear or whether to go with 94+ GMC grill or rock the older one. At least I am on the right track! Lol Thanks for the input!

My Facebook
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Red91
Full Access Members

Originally Posted by dagen_1 View Post
an inexpensive upgrade i would look into is the jeep XJ steering shaft and 95-98 wiper arms. the wiper arms are straighter and have a heavier duty spring. they also have the hook-style end connector instead of the pin-type.
THANK YOU!!!!! My wiper arms have driven me absolutely crazy since I bought the truck! Anything over 55 and the don't stay on the windshield. So frustrating!

95+ (94 is still dumbo mirrors)

i REALLY LIKE this truck! great job!
Thanks I appreciate it!

I do to even the old style grille
That seems to be the general thoughts for whatever reason everyone likes the old grill on my truck. But like everyone else I am getting restless! haha

My Facebook
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
dagen_1
Full Access Members

there were comments made when i was looking to buy a new grille for mine just prior to getting the truck painted. the feedback i was getting was either 94+ chevy or gmc. but i stuck to my guns and left the pre-93 style in place, i just ordered a new chrome shell and billet inserts to dress it up a little. i like the older styles myself, not throwing off on the newer grilles, its just that it's been done time and time again. my truck is a 89 and i wanted "something" on the outside to reflect that.

DeWayne
'89 Cheyenne
'94 Silverado Z71
My Facebook
My Build Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Red91
Full Access Members

there were comments made when i was looking to buy a new grille for mine just prior to getting the truck painted. the feedback i was getting was either 94+ chevy or gmc. but i stuck to my guns and left the pre-93 style in place, i just ordered a new chrome shell and billet inserts to dress it up a little. i like the older styles myself, not throwing off on the newer grilles, its just that it's been done time and time again. my truck is a 89 and i wanted "something" on the outside to reflect that.
Nothing wrong with that! The idea I keep having is to get a black grill and paint the GMC emblem like the 454ss emblems, Then enter my light deliemma.... I can't decide from there what I want to do. Either way I want to H.I.D.s

My Facebook
Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Bearcat91
Full Access Members

I vote smoked...I think they look good on almost any car/truck. ALMOST
Bearcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote