Go Back   Indiana Truck Scene Forum > Stock and Lifted Trucks > 4x4 Builds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
kevlar

Default '93 Stepside GMC re-build

FINALLY, some sit down time!
I 'll start at the "birth" (to me) of this truck.

I picked this truck up at a fantastic price from a guy at work about 8 years ago. He was pissed because the rear brake lines rusted out on it and I capitalized on his anger and ended up with it for $1,300 bucks! It had no other problems..... Fast forward to about 3 1/2 years ago. After driving the hell out of it I decided it would look and sound great with some headers and a lift kit, so I bought some headers, a 2" body lift and 3" rough country lift kit. I finally got around to doing these jobs and it only took me one day to realize that that wasn't going to fly on this old, tired frame and leaky 186k motor. That's when everything fell apart.... literally!

Starting of course, at the front, I tore the dog house off it and was going to just do an onboard rebuild of the engine.That wouldn't do either, so I kept tearing it down as far as I could go......

Almost learned the hard way NOT to lift the cab from a strap arounr the top!

Spent a few weeks stripping the frame when I had time to and then using Eastwood products. Rust converter specifies to NOT clean the frame to bare metal, or it will have nothing to react with. Then used encapsulator over that.

Beefed up the rotting bushing perches....

The sandblaster we have at the mill helped a BUNCH for restoring all the parts!

This stuff is as hard as nails....

]