Go Back   Indiana Truck Scene Forum > Interior > Audio and Systems

Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Devs93
Full Access Members

Default Torres' Box Tuning Calculator Program Download

UPDATED!!! finally got everything worked out that i wanted, plus a neat addition or two.

***When downloading, make sure it is saved with a .exe file extension, or it will not open properly. the 'Open with...' window will pop up otherwise*** (thanks gottahavbass917 and a user from another forum )

To do this, go to the folder that the calculator is in and click tools in the toolbar at the top (click alt on the keyboard if you can't see the toolbar). Then click folder options. then click the view tab, and in the advanced settings window, there's a check box that says 'hide extensions for known file types'. Uncheck that and you will see the .uexe file extension on the calculator. Take out that U and save it (just as .exe) and it should work. Now you can go back and recheck the check box and hide known file types.

Also, should have said this from the get-go (I apologize) but thanks to Razor5070 for the help when i got stuck

Here's the new look:

In a week or so, as long as I can make completely sure all kinks are worked out, I'm going to redo the layout and upload that as another download. The original one will stay up as well, but it'll be easier to fix anything and then redo the layout and upload rather than adjusting everything to fix and then readjusting everything. It'll be more for widescreen users and everything should be accessible from the get-go.

Changelog:

Here's the download link to the program:
Torres Box Tuning Calculator

***you'll need the most up to date .net framwork for this program to work. click this link to get it***
.NET Framework

If you're .NET is up to date, and you're still having troubles opening the calculator, check to make sure it downloaded as a .exe file. It should have normally, but for some it may not. Rename it with a .exe format and it should work. Thanks to pervitizm for finding this solution.

For Mac users:
This is a windows based program, so it will not work on macs from a fresh download. You'll need to use either parallels, virtualbox, VMWare fusion, or wine.

There's port cut sheets in there, but one thing i did NOT include are cut sheets on how to cut the port if it bends. There's too many different ways to cut the sheets, and the coding to go into that would be too tedious to deal with. Maybe at another time down the road. Right now I want to get it uploaded and not have something silly holding it back. Plus, if you're building a speaker box, I'm sure you can go take some measurements in the box and see what the port should be

READ THE FAQ/HELP!!!!
I've answered questions repetitively because the help window was not read. So read that first please.

I've also included a FAQ/tip sheet with it this time around. So if you get confused with something, click there first. If you're STILL confused, send me a PM with any questions. With that being said, I'm still going to paste all the contents of the FAQ here.

Box Frequency Tuning Calculator - FAQ/Tip Guide
*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

1 - First and foremost, the RE calculator is *not* spot on, and is limited in design, so no, it will not match this calculator.

2 - When doing an oddly shaped box such as a fiberglass box, or you know the volume of a certain box you have in mind
that you want to build, put the net volume in the 'Desired Net Volume' box. This will bypass all dimensions entered
preventing you from having to guess dimensions to get a certain net volume and will allow you to tinker with different
port sizes and tuning. So if you know you want a box with 4 cubic feet of net volume, enter '4' into that box and it
will allow you to adjust tuning accordingly to that specific volume. Keep in mind that any displacement nor port volume
is NOT subtracted from this total. Any number in this box will override any number in the 'Desired Gross Volume' box.

3 - The 'Desired Gross Volume' box acts much like the 'Desired Net Volume' box, except all displacements are taken into
effect.

4 - If the '# of ports' box is greater than 0, that will automatically get taken into effect and the calculator will ignore the
dimensions for slot ports.

5 - The '# of Common Port Walls' box refers to how many sides of the box are going to act as sides of the port. This is
done by looking at the port head on and counting how many sides of the box that face of the port uses as the port
walls. The port inside the box has nothing to do with the common port walls. Please refer to the links below for
examples.

6 - Aero ports have a defaulted thickness of 3/16" -- couldn't decide whether to use 1/8" or 1/4" so I went in the middle.

7 - Port length uses the box wall or baffle(s) as part of the port length. So a port that is 10" long with one baffle using .75"
wood will only need to be 9.25" long since the box wall or baffle(s) will account for the other .75". If using two baffles,
then it would be 8.5" long as the baffle will account for 1.5" of port length and so on.

8 - When using multiple ports, whether they be round or rectangular ports, the port length MUST be the same for each
port. The port length does **NOT** get divided among the ports. This will affect your net volume and severely
raise your tuning.

9 - Program resolution is set to 840 pixels in width and 780 pixels in height. Try to stay within this resolution for custom
backgrounds or program may lag. Using .png files will also help prevent program lag.

10 - The extra baffle box should only have a value if you plan on using multiple baffles. Leave blank or a zero if you are
only going to use a single baffle.

11 - Regular square/rectangle boxes do not need any numbers entered into the 'Height 2' or 'Depth 2' boxes.

12 - Pressing 'Enter' will prompt the program to print.

13 - PLEASE NOTE: 'Physical port length' refers to the length of the wood itself needed to build the port. This is NOT the
same as the effective port, or the port you entered into the port length box that the box will 'see'. You measure
on the inside of the port (against the port wall) to measure the physical port, in the same way you measure down
the middle of the port to get your actual, or effective, port length.

14 - When doing an external port, the full length of the port must be entered into the port length box. Then the length of
the external port in the 'External Port' box. This way the proper port length (the Port Length box) will be used for
the equation, and the proper volume will be added to the net volume (the volume of the external section of the port)
for proper tuning.

15 - On the cut sheets of boxes with different depths and heights, you'll notice 'H1' or 'D2' next to the measurements.
These represent which dimension is which. Here are two pictures to illustrate:

Box with one height, but two different depths:

Box with two heights and two different depths:

--The following are links that illustrate how each ported box is taken into effect in the calculator (sub and port position can be upwards with the same effect):

1 - Port with 0 common walls:

2 - Slot port with 1 common wall:

3 - Slot port with 2 common walls:

4 - Slot port with 3 common walls:

--The images were made with Google Sketchup. Free to download: http://sketchup.google.com/

Should be 99% debugged (I think). But after staring at the same coding for so long, things are bound to slip by. So IF you do find something that seems out of place, PM me about it please. Only if you're certain about it. I dont want to go check something or explain how it's done several times over because it may be coded a certain way that you may be thinking differently. That'd be too tedious for me to do constantly.

Hope you guys like it the update

Info from DSBP
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...B-Build-Thread
FB
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001465284578
Negative Altitudes Draggin That Shit Since 2006
Devs93 is offline   Reply With Quote