Go Back   Indiana Truck Scene Forum > Paint and Body > Exterior

Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
dagen_1
Full Access Members

Default Front Tag Bracket Mod

i think one thing we'll all agree on is that GM got carried away with the design of the front tag bracket on the GMT400 models.

when i had my truck painted last fall, i asked the painter/body man to fill the top two holes on my smoothie bumper.. he asked ".. why leave the bottom two then?" I wanted a Plan B since Virginia is a front-plate state and at the time i didn't plan on running a front plate...until i got warned numerous times and finally ticketed for it. to the tune of $86 for the fine. I was hell bent on NOT using the stock bracket since it looks so boxie and bulky. I looked at different aftermarket mounting brackets but those would require drilling new holes in my newly painted bumper. Since i've shown the truck a few times (in Under Construction) and plan to show her in the future, i wanted a way to use the two stock mounting holes on the bottom and then take the bracket OFF for shows, then throw it back on later.

SO.......... I put my stock bracket (OE to the truck, for the record) on a diet via a ban saw... yes a ban saw. this could be done with a cut-off wheel and a steady hand, but i'm a klutz and my stepdad has a wood-working shop, so i sawed the devil down some.

first pic shows the front view: (the sides were cut off following the seam/line on each side, the top and bottom were cut along the line as well.

i was worried the top mounting "square" areas would rub the paint at highway speed (remember, the top bolt holes were filled...) so i cut those off as well.

back view:

side view:

later on, the bracket will be color matched. i think it will look better this way and not draw your attention to the black plastic bolted against the green bumper.

results:

the ban saw had a fine-tooth blade on it... which left minimal burring. I proceeded to remove the burrs with a table-mounted belt sander with fine grit paper.

front tags suck... but now i don't have such a bulky box displaying mine.

any questions, lemme know.. peace!

EDIT: wanted to say that cutting all that plastic away didn't weaken it in the least.
EDIT again: for the painted bumper guys... i put two rubber washers (the plumbing kind) between the bracket and the paint..then used stainless steel nuts/bolts/washers to reattach it.

DeWayne
'89 Cheyenne
'94 Silverado Z71
My Facebook
My Build Thread
dagen_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
dagen_1
Full Access Members

i know Indiana isn't a front plate state..but wanted to share for those effected by these hideous brackets.

DeWayne
'89 Cheyenne
'94 Silverado Z71
My Facebook
My Build Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Bearcat91
Full Access Members

mines in the windshield untill the 5-0 says to mount it haha and if/when they do i will do this!
Bearcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
dagen_1
Full Access Members

Originally Posted by Bearcat91 View Post
mines in the windshield untill the 5-0 says to mount it haha and if/when they do i will do this!
in the windshield isn't legal in VA... i paid an $86 ticket and decided to hang the tag back up front. i'll just take it off at shows and stuff.

DeWayne
'89 Cheyenne
'94 Silverado Z71
My Facebook
My Build Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Red91
Full Access Members

That is awesome! WI is also a front plate state I bookmarked this thread I am sure I will use later! Right now my boxy one looks right because the truck is mostly stock.

My Facebook
Red91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
dagen_1
Full Access Members

Originally Posted by Red91 View Post
That is awesome! WI is also a front plate state I bookmarked this thread I am sure I will use later! Right now my boxy one looks right because the truck is mostly stock.
cool... if you switch to a smoothie bumper, be it chrome or painted, that plate box will stick out like a sore thumb. (IMO)

DeWayne
'89 Cheyenne
'94 Silverado Z71
My Facebook
My Build Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Red91
Full Access Members

Ohh yea that I don't doubt at all! I think it just adds to the factory "Bubbah" lip these trucks have from the factory.

My Facebook
Red91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Cablguy184

Nice upgrade !!!