Go Back   Indiana Truck Scene Forum > Paint and Body > Exterior

Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Devs93
Full Access Members

Default So you wanna paint that truck of yours!

Here is just a basic guide and material list

Ok need to do some paint work on that truck of yours ? Not sure what all you need? Well hopefully this thread will give you some insight.
Tape dont skimp on tape if its green its good
masking paper
Wax and degreaser( prepsal)
Sandpapers: 400 grit, 80, grit 220 wet and dry paper 600 wet dry paper and 1500 grit wet dry (36 grit for some major repairs)
Red scothbright pads and scuffing agent (comet)
primers: I prefer eurothane Primers over laquer primer takes longer to dry but better end result IMO
Filler: for any dents I like Evercoat brand lays smooth and sands easy
Sealer
Midcoat
Paint
Clear coat
mixing cups
paint sticks
tack rags
Laquer Thinner for cleaning

Random items and tools needed sanding blocks , da sander, Flatboard Sander if needed, body dollies body hammer
(when ever your sanding always make sure your Paper stays clean
Remove anything in the areas to be shot such door handles trim seals etc

Start by washing your truck real good after it dries wipe the whole truck down a couple times with your prepsal. Find your your areas of attention dents dings deep scratches etc. If you have a bigger dent that you can get to with your dollie and hammer straighten it out as much as possible. you may need some diff tools for that but im giving the basics here. Take 80 grit and sand the areas you need filler then apply your filler dont put it on super thick or it may crack down the rd you can always add more later if needed.after you filler has setup up and cured good block it out with 80 grit and at that point you will know if you need to add more or not.if you feel the area is good block it with 220 dry to smooth it out then primer the area.After the primer is dry move on get out the da and your 400 grit and start sanding the surface panels stay about a half inch away from edges till there is no shine left in the surfaces. now get your red scotchpad and scuffing agent and water and hit all the edges real good. leave no shine if you still have shiny spots go back over em.Ok you laid down some primer earlier those spots are gonna need blocked out I like take a bucket of watter and fill it about half up and get a car wash sponge for this part . Wet the area that needs blocked and wet your paper start with the 220 wet paper Start sanding with one hand and hold the sponge over the top squeezing water down over were your sanding. Keep checking your paper to make sure its clean. make sure you use a block if you only use your hand you can leave llines in it from your fingers. when the area feels real good no edges etc reprime and block if neccesary.I like to go over the area again with 600 wet lightly to makes sure the area is smooth as can be.After the body feels real good Go ahead and wash the truck again Pull it in th area to be painted tape it off and wipe it down with prepsoal a couple more times. Start by shooting the sealer first let dry then take your tack rags and wipe the vehicle down before base coat let dry then clear let dry lay down 3 to 5 coats of clear but have dry times in between coats. let dry for 24-48 hours colorsand with 1500 making extra sure you are keeping your paper clean buff with compound and polish ( if you buff it when its still taped off it will make cleanup a lot easier.) Clean your compound up extra good untape you ride put back together and show off.

I mention Midcoat this optional but reccomended shoot the truck in Midcoat before paint this will help bond the paint to the surfaces.
Products I like Transtar , Dupont, Diamont, PPG , HOK, 3m , Bulldog Midcoat

Im not responsible for how your job comes out you are the one doing it just dont skimp on prep work and you should end up with a good result.If you half ass or skimp on prep work well your end result isnt going to be that good. I would reccomend shooting a tri coat or metalic for your first paint job. The less you use a sander and the more you block with your sanding blocks the better you will be as well. Feel free to add Anything I may have missed. Also every body guy is diff so there will prob be several opinions on this thats fine This is just insight to a basic paint job.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...B-Build-Thread
FB
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001465284578
Negative Altitudes Draggin That Shit Since 2006
Devs93 is offline   Reply With Quote